Whether your goal is to achieve a more toned body or build muscle mass, lifting weights can help you get there. Weight training also called strength or resistance training, strengthens your bones and joints and builds lean, stronger muscles. This helps keep your metabolism in a healthy state.
In this article, you will learn how to get started with weight training and get suggested exercises and training advice.
What Do You Need To Begin Weight Training?
If you have never lifted weights before, consider starting with the help of a certified personal trainer. They can teach you the proper form for specific exercises and set up a strength training program perfect for your needs.
While most gyms offer resistance machines and free weights, you can get a comprehensive weight training workout at home using essential equipment. For instance, you can get dumbbells for about $50, but the price increases as you add more weight.
You can also try resistance bands, which provide different resistance levels when stretched and pulled.
What To Know Before You Begin
When you’re ready to start your weight training program, you need to keep these tips in mind:
● Start with lighter weights.
● Gradually increase the weight.
● Limit your workout to no longer than 45 minutes.
● Rest for at least 60 seconds in between sets.
● Rest a day or two in between workouts.
● Gently stretch your muscles after your workout.
Exercises For Beginners
For a solid all-over workout, you might want to start with the following exercises:
Dumbbell Single-arm Rows
To do this exercise:
● Place your left knee on the edge of a sturdy bench and place your left-hand palm down on the bench.
● Reach down with your right hand and grab a dumbbell with your palm facing toward the bench.
● Slowly raise the dumbbell to your chest and squeeze your back and shoulder muscles. Next, slowly straighten your arm to the starting position.
● Finish 1 sets, switch arms, and do 1 set with your right hand and right knee on the bench.
For this workout:
● Sit or stand with a dumbbell in each hand, your palms facing up, and your elbows at your sides.
● Curl the dumbbells up toward your shoulders by bending your elbows while keeping them stationary at your sides.
● Reverse the curl to the starting position.
Weight training is an excellent way to build muscle mass and strengthen muscles. To maximize your workout routine, start with lighter weights until you master the perfect form. You can gently increase the weight or resistance to avoid injury.