Migraine is a neurological condition that is higher in intensity than the typical headache. It has various symptoms, including extreme sensitivity to light, sound, and even smell. Migraine attacks are also associated with nausea, dizziness, and fatigue. “The first step,” according to board-certified neurologist with Hudson Medical Wellness, Thomas Pitt, is to make sure that what you have is a migraine and that the doctor diagnoses your symptoms correctly.
After determining that such a medical condition is a migraine attack, the next step is to provide the necessary treatment and remedies. However, you should note that the cure for migraine attacks is home remedies via essential oils and stress management. Therefore, this article will highlight the various home remedies you can use to treat migraine attacks.
Ways of Treating Migraine Attacks
- Avoid Certain Foods: The first natural home remedy is to avoid certain foods. Many foods may act as triggering agents for patients that suffer from migraine attacks. These types of food include:
- Foods that contain nitrates, such as sausages, deli meats, and even bacon
- Pickled foods
- Cheese: Doctors generally advise people suffering from migraines to avoid foods containing a naturally occurring compound known as tyramine.
- Lavender Oil as a Natural Remedy: A migraine patient may ease pain from such attacks by inhaling lavender oil. You may either inhale this essential oil directly or indirectly. The indirect method involves diluting the essential oil with carrier oil and then applying it in small amounts to your temple when you have a migraine.
- Acupuncture: According to a 2020 study involving more than 20 sessions, scientists discovered that these acupuncture sessions -along with the usual care- were more effective in treating migraine attacks in patients with a history of episodic migraine attacks. This procedure -acupuncture- involves using thin needles injected into the patient’s skin at strategic parts and points of the body.
- Look for Feverfew: Additionally, feverfew is known to be a natural home remedy that alleviates the pain of migraine attacks. Feverfew is a flowering herb that has not been well studied but has proven to be an effective home remedy for migraine attacks.
- Apply Peppermint Oil: Patients suffering from migraine attacks can apply peppermint oils to prevent migraine episodes. The chemical menthol found in peppermint oil may help with such migraine attacks. In a 2019 study that involved categorizing patients into several groups based on the remedy given, it was found that 40% of patients in the lidocaine and peppermint groups signified a considerable improvement concerning their episodic migraine attacks.
- Ginger: Finally, ginger can help ease nausea in migraine patients. It has beneficial activity in alleviating the pain and stress of such migraine attacks, according to a review study that was conducted in 2020.
If you know that you suffer from the symptoms, stress, and pains of migraine attacks, you can use the above natural remedies to ease the pain of such episodic attacks.