Five Doctors Every Woman Should Have

Every woman should schedule an appointment with her OB/GYN for breast and pelvic exams at least once a year. As a woman, if you want to maintain a healthy reproductive system throughout your life, your OB/GYN is the best person to see about it. However, a woman’s health concerns extend far beyond reproduction, and you should regularly visit the following medical professionals to address other crucial areas of your health.

A Primary Care Physician

Primary care providers (PCP) are the most popular doctors women see. They can be family or internal medicine doctors, and they treat common illnesses. They also help manage chronic diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. Depending on the level of training, most PCP can manage health issues that may include gynecology.

There are many questions you may want to ask your PCP, and that includes:

● How can I improve my overall health?
● Is there any family history of certain health conditions that may put me at risk?
● What screening tests do I need this year? Etc.

The Gynecologist

The gynecologist specializes in a woman’s reproductive organs. Many organizations, including the American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, have indicated that most young women visit gynecologists for the first time in their lives between the age of 13 and 15.

Questions that you usually ask your gynecologist include:

● How often do I need a Pap smear?
● How often do females need pelvic exams?
● Are there certain types of birth control pills that will be appropriate for my body? Etc.

The Obstetrician

This doctor usually specializes in pregnancy and, eventually, childbirth. However, in most cases, an obstetrician is also a gynecologist and will help you throughout your childbirth.

There are questions you may want to ask your obstetrician. These include:

● When should I start taking prenatal vitamins?
● How. often does one need to engage in prenatal care?
● Am I having a high-risk pregnancy? Etc

A Dermatologist

Furthermore, a woman should be able to have a doctor who treats skin conditions. A dermatologist, therefore, will help a woman manage specific issues, such as:

● Acne
● Eczema
● Skin changes that are caused by aging.

Questions you can ask the dermatologist include:

● What changes should I look out for in my skin?
● How best can I protect my skin from sun damage?

The Ophthalmologist

Finally, every woman should be able to visit the Ophthalmologist —a doctor who busies himself with treating eyes and related structures.

There are many questions you may want to ask your Ophthalmologist. These include the following:

● How frequently should my vision be screened?
● What eye symptoms should cause concern for me? Etc.