From slouching at your desk to overworking yourself at the gym, most daily activities can result in back pain. Regular stretching helps protect your back by boosting flexibility and reducing the risk of injury. This article teaches you about three stretches you can do to prevent muscle soreness.
Safe Stretching Tips
You must talk with your healthcare provider before starting a new back exercise program. This is especially important if you have a history of back injury or spinal problems. After that, you can follow these guidelines:
● Warm up with 5 to 10 minutes of light activity like walking
● Stretch slowly and avoid bouncy movements
● Get to the point where you feel mild tension
● Relax into the stretch and hold for 30 seconds minimum
3 Simple Stretches You Can Do
These are three exercises that can keep your back healthy and limber:
● Lie on your back with your legs extended
● Lift and bend your right leg, bringing your knee to your chest
● Grasp your knee with your right hand and pull your leg as far as it will go.
● Remain in this position while tightening your abdominal muscles and pressing your spine into the floor
● Hold the position for five seconds before returning to starting position
● Do the same with your left leg
● Do the same with both legs at once
● Repeat the sequence five times with either leg or both legs at once.
Standing back arch
● Stand up straight with your feet shoulder-width apart
● Put the palms of your hands on your lower back. Take a few slow, deep breaths to relax.
● Bend your upper body backward and keep your knees straight. Support your back with your hands and hold for five seconds.
● Return slowly to your starting position
● Repeat five times
On all fours – back flexion and extension
● Start on your hands and knees on the floor. Your hands should be directly under your shoulders while keeping your arms straight.
● Rock forward, putting your weight onto your arms. Round your shoulders and let the seat drop a little. You need to hold this pose for five seconds.
● Rock backward, sitting your buttocks as close to your heels as possible. Keep your arms extended straight ahead. This position should also be held for five seconds.
● Return slowly to your starting point.
● Repeat five times.
Daily activities don’t always have to be a pain for you. With these exercises, you can keep your body healthy and in the best shape.