Lung Cancer: 3 Shocking Things You Should Know

Lung cancer is among the most common types of cancer in the world. It happens when the cells in your lungs mutate, commonly caused by breathing in harmful substances. This article covers three causes of lung cancer you need to avoid.

Cigarette Smoke

Smoking is responsible for about 90% of all lung cancer cases as cigarettes contain 250 harmful chemicals, with 69 of them causing cancer. Your smoking frequency is irrelevant, as having one cigarette daily still puts you at risk of lung cancer.

Secondhand smoke is also an issue, as people who live or work with smokers have a 20%-30% higher lung cancer risk. However, your risk is reduced when you quit smoking. Your chance of dying if you get cancer also drops by 30%-40% if you stop completely. This is because your body heals faster and reduces the possibility of the cancer returning.


Radon is a gas that gives off radiation and can be found in soil and rocks. It enters homes, schools, and other buildings through small cracks in the foundation. Radon seeps into 1 in 15 homes in the United States and is responsible for approximately lung cancer deaths each year.

To prevent radon poisoning, you need to test your home regularly. The kits are affordable, and you can order them online or get them from your local health department.


Asbestos is a substance known to constantly cause cancer for those around it. It consists of minerals found in soil and rocks and is used in homes and cars. When you work with asbestos regularly, it breaks down into tiny fibers that get stuck in your lungs when you inhale them.

Once it builds up, it becomes difficult for you to breathe and results in cancers like lung cancer and mesothelioma. However, you can prevent this by wearing protective outer clothing that can be washed or discarded. This prevents you from inhaling residue asbestos fibers.

Is Understanding My Family History Important?

If you have a family member who has had lung cancer, you may have an increased risk for the condition. Some genetic conditions can also increase your lung cancer risk, including:

● BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutations
● RECA genetic disorder
● Lynch syndrome


Lung cancer is a deadly condition that can be caused by smoking, radon exposure, and inhaling asbestos. This can be prevented by avoiding smoking or secondhand smoke and testing your home for radon. You should also wear protective outer clothing when working with asbestos.

If you have a family history of lung cancer, consult your doctor about possible risk factors and if screening is necessary.