Exercising at home doesn’t mean you’re stuck doing crunches and push-ups. You can get a great workout by using your own body weight for resistance. You can also take advantage of the environment outside your home or office to get in a good workout. Some ideas to get fit without going to the gym are listed below.
Getting A Work Out Without the Gym Equipment
- Do squats, lunges, and calf raises while holding a medicine ball or dumbbells. This exercise works your glutes and hamstrings more than regular squats because you’re holding weights in front of your body.
- Do push-ups with one hand on an exercise ball to work your abs more than usual.
- Do lunges mixed with side bends to work your obliques as well as your quads, hamstrings, and glutes. You can also do this exercise with a heavy backpack on your back if you don’t have an exercise ball handy.
- Do planks with leg lifts (kind of like bicycle crunches). Hold the plank position for 30 seconds at first; after 15 minutes, add in 10 leg lifts every minute until you reach 60 reps total.
Getting A Work Out By Thinking Outside the Box
- Go for a walk or jog outside. If you’re not used to exercising, start slow and build up gradually over time. Try walking for 10 minutes every day and then build up from there. If you can, try jogging for 15 minutes every day and then build up from there too.
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Go dancing with your partner or friends.
- Play basketball with friends at school or at home.
- Get your game on. Enjoy working out virtually in VR or by gaming. There are several games you can take advantage of, depending on which system you have.
Utilize Fitness Apps
Fitness apps can be a great way to motivate you to get fit. They can also make it easier to track your workouts and give you ideas for new workouts. There are many different kinds of fitness apps available, so find one that suits your needs.
If you want more than just a basic workout routine, look for an app that includes detailed instructions and videos showing how to do each exercise correctly and safely, plus nutritional information about what to eat before and after exercise sessions, along with meal plans created by experts in nutrition who know what foods will give you energy as well as help build muscle mass while burning fat.
There are many options for you if you want to get fit without going to the gym. You may even decide the variety is better than heading to the gym once you’ve tried a few of the ideas above.